Application Guideline for the “Sandwich” Doctoral Degree and Visiting Scientist Research Program under the China Scholarship Council (CSC)
All the “sandwich” doctoral degree and Visiting Scientist research programs will be linked to the IRRI research program. Research outputs will be integral parts of the IRRI Medium Term Plan, hence contributing to the IRRI mission as international public goods, towards achieving the United Nation’s Millennium Development Goals.
- Candidates will be citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application;
- The candidates should not be more than 35 years old at the time of application;
- Candidates must not be currently working or studying abroad;
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies and/or research;
- Candidates must hold an unconditional offer letter (for co-supervised “sandwich” PhD candidates)/invitation letter (for visiting scientists) at IRRI. They must therefore fulfill the relevant academic entry requirements set by IRRI, including a high level of English language proficiency;
- Co-supervised “sandwich” PhD candidates normally should be a registered PhD students in China, and the Visiting Scientists should be a current employee of a Chinese university/research institute;
- Candidates should be intending to pursue research in one of the priority research areas identified by IRRI and CSC. However, applicants to other research areas will also be considered. The support research areas are also subject to the availability of relevant research programs at IRRI;
- Candidates should satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC by completing the CSC Application Form and the CSC Employer Reference Form at http://apply.csc.edu.cn/;
- All Visiting Scientists candidates should have a PhD degree in relevant field conferred within three years of the time of application. The visiting scientists candidates should be part of the collaborative research program between IRRI and China.
- Interested applicants should directly apply to the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) at any time of the year. Following documents should be submitted to IRRI:
- Application letter
- Filled out IRRI application form
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Certificate of English Proficiency (PETS5, TOEFL, GRE, TSE, IELTS)
- Transcript of Records
- Certificate of Employment (for Visiting Scientist Research Program applicants only)
- Letter of Assessment from an expert of the same research area
Complete application documents should be sent to:
International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
DAPO Box 7777, Metro Manila, Philippines
Applicants may contact IRRI scientists as potential co-supervisors or collaborators for research.
Only complete application documents will be processed.
Deadline for submitting of application to IRRI is on:
- 6 to 24 months for “Sandwich” Doctoral Degree Training - January 31 of each year
- Up to 12 months for visiting scientists/ fellowship program - November 30 of each year
IRRI may issue unconditional offer/invitation letter to a candidate who has been found qualified for study/research at IRRI at any point in time of the year, provided that:
- the proposed research work of the candidate is closely linked with IRRI’s MTP, and
- an IRRI scientist has signified strong interest to supervise the candidate.
This will enable candidates who meet IRRI requirements to complete any Chinese institutional requirements as part of the completed submission to CSC.
After the closing date of submission, the IRRI Scholars Committee will review and evaluate all applications received for ranking.
All suitable candidates will be notified and sent unconditional offer/invitation letters by February 20th of each year. Likewise, they will be advised to complete all CSC requirements through http://apply.csc.edu.cn/.
A ranked list of suitable candidates (this will include those candidates who have been issued unconditional offer/invitation letter within the period of selection) will be submitted to CSC before March 20th of each year together with the copies of the unconditional offer/invitation letters issued to the candidates.
During this time, the candidates should have already applied to CSC for funding by completing an application for funding and employer reference (forms are available online at http://apply.csc.edu.cn/). In addition, the candidates should have already submitted the following documents to CSC application agencies by March 20:
CSC will finally approve the final list of scholarship recipients and inform IRRI and the successful candidates sometime late May or early June of every year. Students are expected to come to IRRI starting September of each year.
In general, the support for each co-supervised “sandwich” PhD candidate and Visiting Scientist/Research Fellow will be up to twenty-four (24) months and up to twelve (12) months, respectively.
The IRRI China Office in Beijing will assist the applicants in coordination and contact with IRRI or CSC, and facilitate the travel arrangements of the successful candidates to IRRI.
- Hard copy of the signed CSC Application Form and completed CSC Employer Reference Form
- A copy of the full application to IRRI (including other supporting documents such as communications with the IRRI supervisor)
- A copy of the unconditional offer/invitation letter from IRRI