DA-SERVE On-the-Job Training
The student internship program will be implemented nationwide. Recruitment and selection of students will follow a competitive process. All five students that will participate in the program should be properly endorsed by the university. It is envisioned that this program will enable the students to develop the skill-set related to their chosen area of specialization that would equip them when they eventually enter the workforce, enable them to finish their undergraduate thesis, and help them to build networks as they begin their journey to professional world.
On the part of the university where the students will come from, this is also a very good opportunity to build networks for future collaborative research activities.
To ensure that each student will benefit academically from the internship, the program will be divided into two parts. The first part will be done in the university and may be tied with the conduct of their undergraduate thesis.
As part of the eligibility requirements, a student with an approved thesis outline ready to be conducted can also apply for the program. In the student workplan, the student and the adviser should clearly indicate which portion of the work will be conducted at IRRI and its corresponding relevance and benefit to the research and the student. In case, a student who is already conducting his/her thesis is interested to apply, justification on how the research topic selected will help the student should be submitted as part of the required 250-word essay.
After the program, the student and the adviser will be required to submit a report or re-entry plan detailing the benefits and or knowledge that they gained from the internship. Student university supervisors will be asked to continue communication with the IRRI supervisor for possible future collaborative research activities. This way the program can ensure benefits for the student, the university supervisor, and the university--through increased knowledge and skills of the student and the academic adviser.
- Be outstanding students seeking careers in rice research and related systems research
- Students must be on their 3rd, or 4th, or 5th year and must have minimum of 2.50 cumulative GPA to be eligible to apply.
- Must be fully endorsed by his/her university
- Must be willing to be based at IRRI for 3 months
- Must be willing to consider the research topic selected as an option for his/her BS thesis
- Must possess adequate proficiency in English
- Must be enrolled in any State University or College (SUC) in the Philippines
- Each applicant must complete an online application by clicking on the apply button on this page. The application mus include the following attachments for reference during the screening process:
- Application letter or expression of interest
- A 250-word essay indicating preferred research topic and justification why you selected that particular area of research. Please indicate how you would benefit from undertaking the particular research topic selected.
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- True copy of grades with total GPA
- Endorsement from the university where the student is enrolled
- Recommendation letter from the university adviser and one former professor
- Evidence of registration from the university where the student is registered
- All attachments must be submitted online as attachments to the online application.
- Deadline of applications is on February 28, 2019.
- Potential candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.