PhD Research Sandwich Scholarship Opportunities at International Rice Research Institute
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) invites qualified students to apply for up to 10 Ph.D. Research Sandwich Scholarship positions to do studies related to the following research areas. For this program, IRRI has developed an innovative, theme-focused capacity-building approach to address long-term rice food security facing South and Southeast Asia.
Below are the research areas for the students.
- Characterisation of rice germplasm for embryo size and understand it’s effect on germination under direct seeded conditions
- Modeling and optimization of the GrainSafe Dryer
- Marketing climate labels for rice in South-East Asia: Comparative assessment of low-carbon footprint and other ‘green’ attributes
- DNA free genome editing system for Indica rice and improvement of precise editing by homologous recombination
A. Types of scholarship
- 1 to 2.5 years Ph.D. sandwich research program.
B. Scholarship benefits
- Tuition fees & academic expenses up to US$2,500.00 per year
- Airfare one roundtrip ticket for international students and travel expenses up to US$3000 for the entire duration of the scholarship (include airfares, travel documents, airport pick up in the Philippines)
- Stipend amounting to US$1,000 per month (living expenses, accommodation, local transportation)
- Book allowance amounting to US$300.00 per year
- Scholar association Membership Fees
- Shipping allowance
- Laptop computer allowance amounting to US$1,500.00 for the entire duration of the scholarship
- Research support (including travel for approved research)
- Scientific conference and professional development funds amounting to US$3,000.00 for the entire duration of the scholarship
C. Eligibility requirements
All applicants must:
- be from any country in South and Southeast Asia
- be involved in the field of rice science and related systems research
- be willing to work on any of the identified research area for the PhD research
- be highly qualified, well-rounded rice scientists from the public or private sector in South and Southeast Asia
- have finished all PhD coursework requirements and are ready to start on their dissertation research
- be endorsed by his/her university supervisor
- possess adequate proficiency in English
- not be more than 35 years old at the time of application
Potential applicants may seek co-funding for their research and study fees especially if duration of the program will exceed 2.5 years.
D. Application procedure
Interested applicants should submit an application online together with the following documents:
- Application letter
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- Scanned official transcript of records (BS, MS), as applicable and copy of grades for Ph.D. coursework.
- Letters of assessment/recommendation letters from two experts working in the same research area.
- A 200-word essay indicating preferred research topic and justification why you selected that particular area of research. Please indicate how you would benefit from undertaking the particular research topic selected.
Based on established criteria, all suitable candidates will be notified and sent conditional offer/invitation letters.
Important notes: Only complete application documents will be processed.
Applicants will be informed of the status of their applications.